Saturday, November 17, 2007

Remember this?

Waiting to Exhale, the movie based on the novel by Terry McMillan.

It's amazing how watching a movie through twelve year old eyes and then twenty-three year old eyes can make SUCH a difference. When I first saw it way back when, I felt bad for all of the women in the movie and was like I hope that isn't me ever.

Fast forward to...last Wednesday night when it happened to come on tv. I watched this movie and found myself PISSED at all of the women...but a bit less pissed than Gloria because at least she had more class than the rest of her friends.

My beef is...if a man is a dog, why the hell are you still chasing him? And if you can't hold onto him, obviously either 1) you aren't the woman for him 2) he REALLY isn't trying to settle down 3) he's just amusing himself with you until the person he REALLY wants to be with comes around 4) all of the above.

Ladies, I know it's a tough world out there. But what has come of some people, men and women, that will settle for the bullshit because they're scared of being alone or they feel they don't deserve better or what have you. What REALLY irked me was all of those heffas kept dealing with poonhounds or married men (or both in all cases) and still didn't end up with a man and wondered the hell why. At least Gloria didn't fall for the okeydoke, and what happened? She met herself a GENUINE man. Applaud.

Sadly, a majority of people go through this, and they sit and complain and wonder why their life is going the way it is. Don't ask me why, cause I really will tell you, short sweet and straight to the point.

But I'm at the point where I keep my mouth closed. Hell, if you keep making the same mistakes 10 times over, hell, you deserve what you can. But I can't teach anyone how to be grown and dammit, I have my own life so I won't start now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! I remember watching it when i was young too i didn't get it now.. I'm like huh what the heck is wrong with them... It also had me thinking about my ownself and i'm glad i am finally growing up... don't matter if i still look 15 lol...

Nikki said...

I hear what you're saying, but it's a bit easier to say when you do have someone who treats you well. For some people in the world, right or wrong, fair or not, often the choice they have is being "with" someone who treats them badly or being alone. Karma doesn't always work, life doesn't always turn the bend, good things don't always come to good people. It is just so. I spend my time alone, and have for pretty much all my life, and yet my refusal to build a "relationship" with a certain type of person hasn't meant that the perfect person just comes. Sometimes the perfect person doesn't come and you're just left alone. So I try to give the people who can't bear the constant loneliness and reach out for whatever they can get a little break.

Just a thought.